down

4.07.2012

Sew Colette: How to Prepare and Sew Silky Fabrics


Yesterday, we discussed the different fabric options for Taffy.  Some of these fabric types may be new to you or, like me, you are newly venturing into what you would have previously deemed 'tricky' fabrics.  I don't know about you, but this sew-along has definitely boosted my confidence with regard to trusting my skills and trying new things.  In my mind, if Sarai thinks I can sew it, then I definitely can!

Chiffon, georgette, lawn, rayon challis, and charmeuse definitely have their quirks.  They are often slippery, may shrink or shred in the wash, and require extra steps not normally used with 'standard' fabrics.  Today I'd like to talk about preparing these fabrics for sewing.  Now, in the handbook, Sarai reviews this in Chapter 5: A Beautiful Fabric, and she has also written a very informative post on The Prewash, based on her personal experiences as a seamstress.



While handwashing is recommended for most fabric types we'll be using, I did find that my poly-rayon blend did well in my washing machine.  I washed it on hot to ensure that it shrank and then hung it to dry on my line.  This is how I will be caring for my finished blouse.  I recommend prewashing your fabric in the manner in which you chose to care for your finished Taffy.



Chiffon
Sew News has a terrific article about preparing and sewing with chiffon.   As this is a rather slippery type of fabric, cutting in a single layer and pinning it to a layer of tissue prior to cutting will make it more cooperative.  Above is Sarai's beautiful silk chiffon Jasmine blouse




Georgette
eHow Style has an informative article about sewing with georgette. Sarai's beautiful red silk georgette Peony dress is pictured above.

Licorice Dress from The Colette Sewing Handbook
Lawn
Like the Taffy blouse, the Licorice dress has lawn for one of its fabric choices.  EmmaOneSock comes to the rescue again with her cheat sheet on preparing and sewing cotton lawn.  For silk or poly-blend lawn, click here.




Charmeuse
Your silk charmeuse cheat sheet is here.  Please note that charmeuse is the trickiest of the bunch to work with and is recommended for intermediate to experienced seamstresses. More tips and tricks for charmeuse can be found here.  I just love Sarai's copper silk charmeuse Jasmine blouse!




Rayon Challis
The Experienced Novice made a beautiful Taffy from rayon challis (above) and wrote a very comprehensive review of the pattern and experience.  More tips for preparing and sewing with rayon-based fabrics can be found here and here


* * * **

Have questions? Please feel free to post here, in Erin's blog, or in the sew-along Flickr group.
We're here to help!

0 comments

Post a Comment